Once the tree had been pruned selectively and fed properly for a season I moved the tree into a slightly larger wooden box. The old soil had compacted and had large pockets of dry areas within the root mass where numerous roots had died. I used a mix of pumice and akadama.
For my 40th birthday Jennifer surprised me with a day long 1on1 workshop with Ryan Neil. Ryan worked all day to complete the first styling below.
After the styling with Ryan full sun and heavy feeding produced healthy growth and back budding. I removed the wire mid winter 2012.
You will notice that the first branch has been removed. For about 18 months I soaked on how I wanted to see the tree, and whether that branch fit the image. Then, one day I came home from work and "snip/snap" it was done. It made an instant improvement in the tree.
So, lots more sun and fertilizer in 2013 continued to help the tree along its path of development. Below is the result of the 2nd styling which I completed in January 2014.
While in this summer visiting nurseries with friends led by Peter Warren, I found the right pot at Shunkaen, and Mr. Kobayashi made me a generous deal on it. I wound up carrying it on the plane ride home as it would not fit in my suitcase. The pot is an older Chinese pot, which is now beginning to develop a decent patina.
Thanks for reading and keeping up with my neglected blog. In my next post I will feature some of my observations from this summers trip to Japan...Stay Tuned!!